Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The more you toot

Beans beans the magical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel
So eat your beans at every meal

I don't mean to be crude, but the fact is if you don't prepare beans correctly, they can cause you discomfort and loss of a social life. Luckily, Chris has not divorced me yet, because we are essentially eating the same foods. Just don't light a match in our house.

Legumes have complex sugars that aren't easily digestible. The bacteria in your colon ferments these sugar which produces the dreaded flatulence. You can take steps to remove these sugars. Soak the beans overnight. This releases the sugars into the water. Remove that water and use fresh water to cook the beans. I go an extra step by boiling the beans for 2-5 minutes and discarding that water as well. Then I cook the beans in my pressure cooker. I am happier and so is my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment